LED Grow Lights have come a long way in recent years. For to many years we would say, “in a few years they will be worth buying, but not yet.” It seems that time has finally come, and LED lights are starting to dominate home grows as well as commercial grows. With many benefits over traditional grow lights, LED lights seem to be picking up pace with their sales world wide.
Benefits of LED Grow Lights:
- They Use Less Power Than Traditional Grow Lights
- LED Grow Lights Produce Less Heat
- They Are More Efficient than HID Lighting
- Less AC Is Needed Which Equals Lower HVAC Costs
- LED Grow Lights Have a Broad Spectrum Available
- Some Lights Offer WiFi and Remote Operation
- LED Lights Are All in One Packages
- They Are Extremely Easy to Install
- They Offer A Long Use Life
- Lights Are Solid State
- No Bulbs To Buy or Change
- Most Are Waterproof and Dust-proof
With the market exploding with numerous manufacturers creating LED based grow lights, it's no wonder people have a hard time sifting through the thousands of options. We have created this list of our favorite lights for use by home growers and commercial growers alike.
Here are our Top 5 Best LED Grow Lights:
HORTICULTURE LIGHTING GROUP HLG 550 V2 B SPEC
The Horticulture Lighting Gropup HLG550 V2 Bspec is a commercial grade indoor Led grow light that is designed to replace a traditional 1000 watt HID light fixture. It is comprised of 4 custom designed full spectrum white light quantum boards, and is dimmable. This light draws a max of 480 watts & can cover a veg foot print of 6' x 6'
HLG-550 V2 B Spec SPECIFICATIONS:
- Power-240-480 Watts
- Voltage Range-90-277 VAC
- LED-Samsung LM301B & Blue
- Veg Footprint-6' x 6' at 36”
- System Efficiency-166 Lm/W
- System PPF Efficacy-2.55 μmol/joule
- Total output-1175 PPF
- Recommended Mounting Height-24-32 inches above canopy
The Viparspectra V600 is a good budget option for the home grower. It's price point makes it a reasonable light to test the LED waters when growing. It has both veg and bloom options as far as spectrum goes, and is made to replace a traditional 400 watt grow light. It draws a max of 260 watts, and is perfect for a 3' x 3' tent. Viparspectra may be a lesser known name in the industry, but they have a 3 year warranty that is serviced from California.
Viparspectra V600 Specifications:
- Replaces a 400 watt HPS/MH
- Use for all stages of plant growth
- Vegetative Coverage at 32" Height: 3x3ft
- Flowering Coverage at 22" Height: 2.5x2.5ft
- Avg. Power Draw: 260W±3%
- (120pcs) High Intensity 5Watt Bridgelux/Epileds LED Chips
- LEDs Angle: 90°
- Input Voltage: AC100-240V
- Frequency: 50-60Hz
- Lifespan: 100,000 hours
The Nextlight Mega is a beast for commercial growing. It draws only 650 watts of power, but can easily replace a 1000 watt HID Light. The mega touts a 5' x 5' flower footprint, which is larger than most other similar lights on the market. With no bulbs to replace, this LED light has a 2.15 PPF/Watt, which is one of the most efficient full spectrum lights on the market. The Nextlight Mega also comes with a 5 year warranty, which is pretty insane.
Nextlight Mega Specifications:
- 650-watt draw (replaces 1000 watt DE HPS)
- Up to 5’ x 5’ Flower or 7' x 7’ Veg
- Light output: 1400 uoml/j
- Efficacy: 2.15 umol/j
- 100,000-hour lifetime
- Full-Spectrum (3000k and 5000K) White Diodes
- 120-240VAC (comes with 120v and 240v cord)
- 5-year full manufacturer's warranty
- Seed-to-harvest growth with a single spectrum
- UL certified for damp and dry conditions
- CE certified
- Designed & manufactured in the United States with domestic and imported parts
- 75% less heat
- Cuts energy use in half
- Eliminates the cost of replacement bulbs
BLACK DOG PHYTOMAX-2 1000
The Black Dog Phytomax-2 1000 Led Grow Light is one of the most powerful LED lights on the market. It draws an actual 1050 watts of power, which is almost double some of it's competitors. It is tested to have one of the largest flowing footprints at 6.5' x 6.5'. This light is comprised of 420 high Output 5 watt LEDs. This light checks all of the boxes for a commercial grow, and even with the higher cost compared to other lights, it's still a top pick for many growers.
PHYTOMAX-2 1000 SPECIFICATIONS:
- Max. Flowering Footprint - 6.5' x 6.5'
- Max. Vegetative Footprint - 8' x 8'
- Shipping Size - 28" x 28" x 12"
- Product Dimensions - 21" x 21" x 7"
- Shipping Weight (lb.) - 56.0000
- Weight - 53lb (24kg)
- True Wattage - 1050w
- LED Wattage - 2,100w
- Certifications - ETL, CE, FCC, RoHS
- Mean Time Between Failure - > 50,000 hours
- Number of LEDs - 420
- Amp Draw - 8.8A~4.4A (@ 120/240v)
- Cord Length - 8 feet
- Voltage AC - 100V~250V
- Work Frequency - 50~60 Hz
- Power Factor - > 0.98
- Operation Temperature Range -4~104 °F
- BTU - 3581
- Fans Expected Life - 70,000 hours
KIND LED K5 XL750
The Kind LED K5 XL750 Is a mid-range priced Light with solid specs. This light draws 430 actual watts, and is advertised as replacing a 750 watt traditional HID light. Some will say that it can replace a 1000 watt HID light, but it may fall a little short of that. It is controlled by a remote control, and has built in timer functions. This is an awesome light for a home grower because it is such a simple plug and play design. The spectrum is also customizable, so home growers can veg and flower with the same light.
Kind LED K5 XL750 Specifications:
- Spectrum-Customizable/Adjustable 12 Band
- Diodes-208 (3w, 5w, UV, IR)
- Max Wattage-430w (±5%)
- HID Wattage Equivalent-750w
- Input Voltage-100-240V AC Power Input
- Output Voltage-UL Stnd. < 76V DC
- Amperage-3.58A @ 120V / 1.8A @ 240V
- Power Factor-.99
- Lifetime->50,000 Hours
- Weight-28 lbs
- Dimensions-23”L x 17“W x 3.5”H
- RMH (Recommended Mounting Height Above Canopy)-36"
- Footprint (RMH)-4' x 4'
- PPFD Peak (RMH)-458
- Warranty-3 Year
- Certifications-UL Listed, CE, ROHS
We hope this top 5 list of the best LED grow lights can help give you the information you need to finally make that purchase for a new grow light. With so many options on the market today, it can get overwhelming when making such an important purchase. Please use this list as guide to get you started in the right direction for the purchase of your new Led grow light for your home, or commercial grow.